Getting into a car or auto accident is always a nightmare, whether it’s a small fender bender on the way to work or a bad wreck that puts you in the hospital. With the stress and trauma of dealing with the accident itself, the last thing you want to worry about is a poor experience with your auto insurance company to fix the damage. There are a few small steps that you can take to make the process easier along the way.
Steps to follow after a car accident:
- Call the police after the accident and ensure they fill out an accident report.
- Keep a camera in your car to take pictures of any damage to give to your insurance company.
- Make sure to take down the other operators name, address, phone number and insurance information. In addition, if you have a camera, take a picture of their damage and license plate number.
- Call your insurance company immediately.
- If your car has been deemed a “total loss”, make sure to do your research and negotiate the highest possible price for the car.
These are all easy steps you can take, but the best way to ensure an easy stress free process with your insurance company is to do your research before buying a policy. Every state in the United States has a Department of Insurance that rates each insurance company. In addition, look at consumer reviews for each company and make sure that the reviews are up to par with the level of service you are looking for. The price of a policy is often times a big factor when consumers purchase a policy, but you want to make sure you are not sacrificing quality.